Sunday, May 13, 2012

Living with a Pocket Pistol

...is FANTASTIC.

After choosing an LCR and spending about 500 rounds dialing in the fit, feel, and function of the tiny revolver, I've discovered the best part about owning a small snub-nose revolver -- it means I don't have to leave a gun at home anymore due to wardrobe, convenience, or comfort.

Being small enough to drop into the pocket of a pair of cargo shorts, my LCR (J-frame, or other knock-off) gives me an incredible amount of flexibility and opportunity to carry my smaller semi-autos couldn't.  A quick trip to the store or a walk around the block after dinner no longer requires me to "kit up" with holster, mag pouch, special belt, special pants and keep a heavy pistol on my belt if I don't want it to.

Fully loaded, my LCR comes in at a few grams shy of a pound and still packs a full-power punch.  It's light enough to accommodate nearly any wardrobe choice and gives me "something" where before I didn't really have a practical concealed carry option.  It fits into any number of my EDC bags, on a belt in a holster it's almost unnoticeable, and carried in the pocket of some loose-fitting cargo shorts I completely blend into the crowd.

I cycle between an LCR and an M&P 9c these days, and both offer great CCW options and both have their place in my everyday carry rotation.  I still haven't bought into the "pocket .380" or "pocket 9" hype and probably never will.  I have nothing really against guns like the LCP or Kahr's tiny nines but, for now, my needs are covered with what I've got and I couldn't be happier.

No comments:

Post a Comment