Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Baby Hiatus, Match Shooting, and Choosing a Gunsmith

I can't believe it's been so long since I tapped out a few words here! Since I last wrote in my humble little shooting blog, a lot has happened both inside and outside my shooting world.

Baby Normal is doing very well, thanks for asking :-) He's strong, loud, and very healthy (not to mention a BIG boy). Balancing a day job, a weekend job, shooting, and spending time with family has been interesting, to say the least.

I've been at the range with some frequency, and I'm happy to report I recently earned my B classification in USPSA Production Division shooting. Woo hoo!

Limited and L10 have been a much bumpier ride, primarily due to issues I'm having in trying to bond to my STI "race" gun. More on that in a minute...

I've had the awesome pleasure to shoot some really cool guns lately - two different SBRs (an 8" and a 10.5" carbine) chambered in .300 AAC Blackout, suppressed rifles, a Smith & Wesson .500, and Ruger's new 1911.

Training typically slows down during the holiday months, leaving us a bit of time to work on some really cool stuff I can't talk about yet but should turn our local training world around. That said, we're steadily providing solid real-world training in the skills, mindset, and laws governing responsible citizen-focused concealed carry.

I've come across an excellent new Kydex holster maker just a few miles from the Normal HQ - check out Werkz Holsters for top-quality gear if you're looking for anything from the conventional to the obscure (Do you carry a SCCY? Call Werkz!). The owner built up a semi-custom carry rig for my Shield that also works well with my new Crosstac everyday carry belt (also made up the road in Loveland!)

Finally, a few thoughts on choosing a gunsmith - find one who will work both WITH and FOR you. Don't just pick one based on reputation or how many folks shoot his or her guns at the local matches. Take time to learn what the gunsmith will and won't do and take time to communicate what YOU WANT done to your gun. Just because he build hyper-tuned race guns for the local heavy-hitters, you may not wind up with the fit or function you were looking for and, at the end of the day, you're having custom work done to suit YOU. If you're not getting what you want and you're getting the cold shoulder, find a 'smith who will LISTEN to you, not talk over you.

More to come, Happy 2014!


- Posted from somewhere on this big blue marble.

No comments:

Post a Comment